Friday, October 30, 2009

The Power of Nine

The date 9/9/09 was a special day. It will be the last time we have a symmetrical date for a very long time (at least a century). We've had a string of these symmetrical dates since the turn of the century (1/1/01, 2/2/02, etc.). The number nine holds special significance to some people. Three is often regarded as a significant number (the trinity, the three wise men, the three pigs, etc.) and nine is three times three. Nine is also the largest single digit number (Why that is supposed to be important I don't really know).

Numerologists say that the number nine is associated with forgiveness, compassion, and success, but also arrogance and self-righteousness (Again, I have no idea why). Mathematically, nine times any number gives you a number that added together gives you nine. September 9 is the 252nd day of the year which if you add together is 9. (Some of what I just mentioned was discussed in an article on Yahoo news called "Why 09/09/09 Is So Special.")

If you take your birthdate and add it together you get your special number according to numerologists. Say your birthdate is May 29, 1983 (5/29/83). You take the 5, then add the 2 and 9 from 29, and the 8 and 3 from 83. So, you get 5 + 11 + 11. That's 27. Then you add the 2 and 7 together and you get 9. So, a person who's birthdate is 5/29/83 has 9 as their special number. (I randomly thought of this birthdate if you were wondering.)

So, what's my number? I was born September 3, 1969 (9/3/69). You add the 9 and the 3, and then the 6 and 9 together from 69. You get 9 + 3 + 15. That's 12 + 15 which is 27. Then you add the 2 and 7 together and you get 9. So, my "special" number is 9. Additionally, September 3 fell during the 36th month of 1969 and 3 + 6 from 36 is 9. Is this all a coincidence or evidence that my life is being guided by some supernatural force?

It sure would be cool if there was some special significance to the day I was born. However, it is estimated that somewhere between 300,000 to 500,000 people are born each day. That means that nearly a half million people share my birthdate. Now my birthdate doesn't seem that unique. Numerology can be fun to play around with but it has no bearing on the outcome of events in your life. Funny, I suddenly feel the urge to play SuDoku and arrange the numbers 1 through 9 in rows and columns...

1 comment: